Sunday, March 30, 2008

Take a Tour of my Stamp Room!

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by. Please come on in and take a look around... As I promised in my long question and answer post, I'm about to show you my stamp room! Some of you asked me about how I stay organized, so here are some photos of my stamp room along with descriptions of the things you will see. I hope it gives you some fresh ideas.

This is my main work area. It's where all the major creating happens! The desk is from Ikea - there are actually two across this side of my stamp room that go wall to wall. Granted, this desk is nice and tidy right now since it was having this little photo shoot, but under normal circumstances, it's covered with projects in all stages of completion! The grid on the wall with all of it's shelves came from The Container Store. Let's take a closer look going from right to left...

This, of course, is where I store my stamp sets. They are within easy reach while I am working. The cabinets are from Target in their scrapbooking aisle, but I'm not sure if they have them any more as I didn't see them the last time I was there. There's four of them here - two each of two different styles. This gives me a lot of flexibility in finding the right spot for the different size boxes. I don't have them organized in any special way except that all of my sentiment stamps stay in the upper right-hand shelves. On top of the cabinet are my background stamps, a couple of Simply Sent kits, and a few stamp sets that are not appropriate right now (Christmas sets, or sets from past minis that may or may not come back). Sitting in front of these shelves is my handy Stampin' Stack & Store which contains all of my brads and eyelets. I love this thing! It spins so nice and easy.

Here you can see where I store my most commonly used Embossing powders and my Dazzling Diamonds glitter. I put them in containers that fit nicely on the shelves. I also keep my Embossing Buddy right next to them so I won't forget to use it. If you don't have one, you really should experience the difference it makes. The powder just slides off the paper! You can also see that my Heat Tool is hanging from a hook, nice and handy. Moving down from the powders, you can see all of my buttons. I put them in cute little decorated glass jars. Underneath those shelves is a box with ribbon scraps. It's clear for easy viewing, and large enough that I can generally find what I need quickly. Underneath that is a small drawer cube where I store current cards I'm working on (...my April Stamp-a-Stack cards are sitting in that top drawer - you'll see them real soon!). The bottom drawer has my flowers from the new Die Cut Blooms set, which I love and want to keep handy. Again, it is large enough to allow easy access. Next to that drawer cube you can see my fabulous Ott light. I will never work with any other light again...! Thanks, Dianne!

Over here you see all of my ribbon. I have two sets of Ribbon Originals that are kept in the circle magnetic containers (also from The Container Store) and the metal plate they stick to hangs very conveniently from hooks on the grid. The rest of my ribbon stays in the bucket shelves. Below the Ribbon Originals are my scissors. I have all three kinds - and if you have never tried those new Craft & Paper Scissors, you simply MUST! I know, I know... what do you need another pair of scissors for? I thought the exact same thing. Until I used those for the first time. In my house, they are SPECIFICALLY used for ribbon and nothing else! They cut ribbon like BUTTER! You don't even have to hold the end of the ribbon... I can't explain it. You really must try them to understand why you have to have them. Okay, moving on... below the scissors is a box with things like my bone folders, black Stampin' Write markers, glue pens, tweezers, etc. Under the ribbon baskets is another drawer cube that contains all of my adhesive - SNAIL, Glue Dots, and Dimensionals. My Stampin' Scrubs fit right on top which is perfectly accessible at all times. It's so important for everything to have a place! To the left of that cube is where my Color Coach wheel goes, alongside my set of Stampin' Write markers.

Here is probably my favorite thing in this room... not only because it's so handy, but because my wonderful husband made it for me! It's my stamp pad cabinet that holds all of my Classic inks (inlcuding the In Colors and the Neutrals) along with their Re-inkers (I don't have all of the re-inkers yet). We saw one similar to this online, so we modified the design a bit and this is the result. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it! ...I'm now trying to get him to make a second one for all of my Craft pads! They're stored in the closet right now.

Moving further over to the left is my computer desk. This is where I am sitting right now as I type this. All of my blogging, surfing, and ordering is done over here. I only have one chair in this room, so it slides from the stamp area to the computer area often. I love having the window right at the computer - I don't feel so closed in when the sun can shine in. The table that the computer is on actually slides underneath the main desk if I need to conserve space - on the opposite wall is a daybed (you'll see it in a minute), as this room also serves as a guest bedroom. It has a trundle bed underneath, so when guests come, I move the computer to the main desk and slide the table underneath.

To the left of the computer is a rolling cart (also from Ikea) that has some basic office supplies in the top and filing drawers in the bottom for my Stampin' Up! paperwork (orders, receipts, bank statements, etc.). Although this cart is on casters and can slide under my desk, I usually leave it out so it can serve as a nightstand when guests come. You can also see another cabinet underneath in the corner with drawers - that is from Target and holds miscellaneous things that I don't need to get to often. On top of it is my printer.

Here is another section of wall that I have - between the closet and the door. I arranged a few little shelving units to maximize storage space. On the top, I keep my regular postal supplies - scale, stamps, address labels, etc. Underneath are more Stampin' Up! supplies - Grid Paper, catalogs, order forms, and packages of cardstock that I'm running low on. When I run out of a color, I grab it's backup here and then make a point to order a new pack. That way, I never run out of a color. In the little drawer cube are all of my envelopes and logo bags.

This rolling cart came from The Container Store and holds all of my yummy cardstock. Each color has its own folder, along with a Stampin' Color Index Label that is stuck on a scrap of the same color.

This makes for SUPER easy location. They are arranged alphabetically, but with the tabs being the color of the cardstock, I can go right to the one I want. It also makes for easy filing - my kids can even do that for me since they only have to match up the color. The In Colors are along the left side and the neutrals are in the front.

Underneath the folders are three drawers that contain my Punches. This cart is on casters and slides underneath my desk when I'm not using it... which isn't often. :o)

This cart is larger - it holds all of my 12 x 12 supplies. I bought the hanging folders from The Container Store (is it obvious yet that I like that store?) and inside them are "pocket" folders (also from The Container Store) that contain my different Designer Series Papers. That way, I can have 3 or 4 different paper packs in one hanging folder. Whenever I want to use a particular pack, I just pull out the pocket folder and keep it on my desk. I store the scraps right along with the full sheets because these pockets are closed on 2 sides, with a flap that covers the 3rd. They're really handy! Also in this cart is my 12 x 12 textured cardstock, my chipboard, and my Simply Scrappin' Kits. Underneath the file folders is a deep drawer that has my Stampin' Around Wheels and handles, and a box with my Prints scraps (from the current Hostess Level 1 pack). Again, this cart is on casters, so it stores under the desk.

This final cart is the same size as the one I just showed you, only instead of making it a filing cabinet, I put a counter top on it. It still slides underneath my desk, but it's usually out since I use it often. Three of the drawers have divider liners in them and I keep supplies that I use a lot in them. Hodgepodge Hardware, my Crafter's Toolkit, Dry Embossing supplies, Watercolor Wonder Crayons, Stampin' Sponges, Brayer, Sanding Blocks... these are just some examples of the things I keep in this cart. Having it on casters also makes it easy to wheel out to my dining room which is where I hold my workshops.

On top of this cart is my wonderful Scrap Box! Scraps, to me, are the hardest thing to have a good place for. I developed this system several months ago and I can't tell you how wonderful it's been for me. This is a box designed for 8" x 5" index cards that I got at an office supply store. It was ugly to start with - looked like one of those black and white marble composition notebook covers. So I covered it using ModPodge and some old DSP that I had, stamped a label with the Classic Alphabet set in Chocolate Chip ink, and then tied a Chocolate Chip ribbon around the whole box. Simple, yet elegant.

I then bought enough tabs for each color (including In Colors and Neutrals) to have its own tab, and labeled them with the Stampin' Color Index Labels (I love those things!). Behind each tab are all the decent size scraps for that color - I don't keep really small pieces... it has to be big enough for me to punch a 1 1/4" circle out of, or else I throw it away - and anything that is 1/2 sheet or larger gets stored back in my regular cardstock storage cart. This box stays either on top of this cart or on my desk and it gets used A LOT!

And last, but not least, if you were to be a guest in my home, chances are this would be your bed (of course, you'd have to share it with one of our cats who has claimed that purple and white afghan as his daytime napping spot). This was my childhood (well, teenage years) daybed and it is along the opposite wall from the Ikea desks. My favorite colors (obviously) are sage and lavender, and that's what this room is clothed in. It's very comfortable, and I consider myself very fortunate to have a stamp haven as nice as this one.

And there you have it! My stamp room! I hope you enjoyed this tour. I welcome your comments on what you like the best - and feel free to offer suggestions if you see anything that could be done differently or more conveniently! I'm always game for improvements!

29 comments:

Suzanne said...

WOW! You have my dream stamping room! What a wonderful job you have done of organizing everything. It seems like the room should be huge. May I ask what size it is?

Natasha said...

The shelf your husband made is soo great! Thanks for sharing your space

Kristi said...

All I can say is WOW! :o) Thanks so much for making me envious!

/p said...

Wow -- A Stampin' Up fanatic AND Container Store fanatic. I knew I could relate to you! Thanks so much for the tour. Makes me realize that I have way too much product! And need to start using rather than hoarding.

/p

Chantelle said...

What an amazing stamp room. So very neat and organized. I love all of your idea's. I especially love your ink pad holder and the ribbon storage idea. Storing ribbon is a problem for me and I've yet to find a great solution. I have to find some of those wire baskets where I live. Thanks for sharing your space - very inspiring.

Dorothy said...

WOW - are you organized! I actually am too but I can't seem to make the stamp room that way. I always have scraps of paper and ink pads and ribbon all over my work space. Love your spot. Thanks for sharing it with us all. I love your idea of using a sample of the cardstock when storing paper - I will have to copty that when I get a chance. Thanks again for sharing.
Dorothy

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tour, your space is so creative and cheerful!

dasimonds said...

Wow..You are very well organized.
Finding the perfect storage is
so important ...really saves space.
Your room looks fantastic! You
have a lot of products..but by having proper storage..everything
looks great...not clutered.
Thanks for sharing all your great ideas for storage.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't possibly tell you anything to ADD to your wonderful stamp room! It's incredible and I wish I could hire you out to re-do mine! I will tell you the only thing in my room which is semi-organized is my library card catatlog I aquired from a local college. 64 deep drawers - I love that thing! Thanks for the tips for handy storage - I especially like the scrap box and will have to do one, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an organized stamp room you have. SU should have featured your room in the recent stampin success! It's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your stamp room! I wish I had one too! I love your organization ideas!! Thanks for sharing!

julienatkev said...

oHi
I am so jealous i would only ever to be able to dream about a room like that. wish you lived closer i would come and try it out

julie

Staciestamps said...

First, I think I'm in love. Second, I'd LOVE to be a guest in your house!!! Sleeping near the stamps - what a dream come true:)

Nancy Riley said...

Michele, your room is FABULOUS!!!! It's so nice, neat, and tidy! Very well organized! No wonder you create such wonderful stuff ... you've got a wonderful room to create in!

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing your space with us. I would LOVE to have a stamp room! For that matter, just a desk with some drawers and a few storage items to put the little things in on the desktop would be nice. All my stuff is in 8 different sterilite craft totes and it's so hard to get to it that I don't get it out and use it very often. :( And my paper storage is even worse! Like a previous poster said, I need to get using all the stuff I have a quit hoarding it all! :) Someday I hope to atleast have a desk in a guest room to have my stuff out on. I should save the pictures of your space on my hard drive so when I ever DO have a space of my own, I can copy yours or at least get some great ideas! Thanks again for sharing, Michele!

Anonymous said...

Michele, what a wonderful stamp room! Love the purple paint, clean white furniture, and a place for everything! Great job! My stamp room gets more hits than anything on my blog! I think people are always looking for ideas.

Tess said...

I love the shelf that your husband made for you to store all of your stamp pads in. I want one now. Your room is great.

Anonymous said...

Can you come and organize me? Please

Diane Noble said...

Oh, this is DREAMY! You are SOOOO organized. A place for everything and everything in its place. So happy for you that you have it. Bet you LOVE being there!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Youthleadergina said...

Wow. wow. wow. wow. wow. wow.
AMAZING. So organized and pretty!

Tess said...

Your craft room is amazing. I really liked the ink pad holder that your husband made. Would you be so kind and share the measurements for it. I would love for my dad to make one for me.

Here's my email tesscollier2002@yahoo.com

Tess

Anonymous said...

You are the fortunate owner of the craft room of my dreams, right down to the colours (I love sage and lavender!). Your room is gorgeous and looks very functional - thanks for sharing all the great ideas! Now if only The Container Store would come to Canada... :)

www.stampwithdesiree.typepad.com

angela said...

wow, just a wonderful! i'm going to "borrow" a few of your ideas. i also LOVE the container store and ikea too. ;)

Pam Speidel said...

I've just found your blog today as I was searching Splitcoaststampers for cards using the SU Great Grads set. I not only love your card creations, but what a joy to visit your beautiful stamping room! Thank you for sharing your talent and inspiration with all of us! Smiles, Pam :)

Amy said...

I found your site by accident. There is a wrong link on someone's blog for THEIR stamp room that is linked to your stamp room. Oops! I let her know. :) But, I loved your room! I got some great ideas and my stamp room is a guest room too. (Which I want to paint purple). So, I had fun poking around and am adding you to my google reader!

Anonymous said...

Michele, I'm so glad you put the link in to your stamp room in your most recent post. I had not seen it before and I have just poured over every detail. It is gorgeous. I love the colour scheme of your room and the way you have all your things so precisely organised. Lots of great ideas for organisation there. Thanks for sharing.

Crafty Creations by Brenda said...

This is so great!!! Love everything about it!! I have been trying to get my room organized and after looking at your site I have lots of ideas now. Thanks for sharing your room!!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful room! I am about to move my stamping room from upstairs to the main floor... and I am doing some research on how to best organize.... love your room, and I am going to bookmark it so I can come back and be inspired again! Thanks for sharing!!